Share & tag ourcitynest to show me how you enjoyed!
Prep Time: 10 Mins
Total Time: 3:15 Hours
Serving: 2 Quarts
- 10 large apples, quartered
- 1/2 orange, halved
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp. cloves
- 1 tsp. whole allspice
- 1 whole nutmeg
- 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
- 1 apple to slice for garnish (optional)
- 1 orange to slice for garnish (optional)
- Desired amount of cinnamon sticks for garnish (optional)
- In a large ceramic pot, add apples, oranges, spices, and brown sugar. Cover with water by at least 2”. Bring to a boil at medium heat, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 2 hours.
- Remove orange halves, then use a potato masher or wooden spoon to mash apples. Return to a simmer and let simmer uncovered for 1 more hour.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer, pressing on solids with a wooden spoon to squeeze all juices out. Discard solids.
- Serve apple cider warm, spike it with a shot of whiskey if desired (21+ only).